Breast Cancer Awareness & Events on Long Island
Breast Cancer Awareness On Long Island
October is breast cancer awareness month. Take part in events, runs and more throughout the month (and year) which help support cancer research, raise awareness about prevention and risk factors and fund-raise for those currently in treatment.
Keep a'breast' about your breast cancer facts:
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- Men can develop breast cancer too. A man's lifetime risk of breast cancer is about 1 in 883.
- Besides skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among American women.
- A woman's risk of breast cancer nearly doubles if she has a first-degree relative (mother, sister, daughter) who has been diagnosed with breast cancer.
- About 85% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer.
- About 5-10% of breast cancers can be linked to gene mutations inherited from one's mother or father. Mutations in the BRCA1 and BRACA2 genes are the most common.
Information from BreastCancer.org
- Fortunoff The Power Of Pink Shopping Event - 9/13/22 - 10/31/22
- Drive-In Movie Night Fundraiser- 9/23/22
- Paint Port Pink - month promotions
- Making Strides of Eastern Long Island Walk Against Breast Cancer - 10/1/22 - Grangabel Park, Riverhead - unite communities behind the American Cancer Society's efforts to save lives from breast cancer.
- MWCABC 5k- 10/2/22- Manhasset Women's Coalition Against Breast Cancer- the coalition offers support and education initiatives including its Outreach Program, which assists women in Manhasset and surrounding communities who have been diagnosed with breast cancer and related diseases
- Pink Flags Celebration- 10/2/22
- Rocking The Road For A Cute - 10/2/22 - Annual motorcycle run for breast cancer
- Pink By the Bay- 10/4/22- Pink by the Bay is a towns wide initiative to light up Main Street from East Islip to Babylon ‘pink’ as a visual reminder for women to get their mammograms. Participating stores will decorate their windows pink and provide education links inside of their stores.
- Pints for Pink - 10/6 - Learn about breast health, breast cancer screenings, treatments and support groups. Ticket includes drink, light dinner and registration to the 2023 Northwell Health Walk at Port Jefferson. Enjoy sampling local craft beers and ciders.
- Harrison Strength & Fitness workout to benefit Adelphi Breast Cancer Program - 10/15/22
- Making Strikes Against Breast Cancer Walk - 10/16/22 - Jones Beach- unite communities behind the American Cancer Society's efforts to save lives from breast cancer.
- Ladies Night Out - 10/19/22 - join the Manhasset Women's Coalition against breast cancer for an evening affair
- Real Kids Wear Pink Day- 10/21/22
- Pink Your Pumpkin Contest- submit by 10/24/22
Run/Walks For Awareness
- MWCABC 5k- Manhasset Women's Coalition Against Breast Cancer- the coalition offers support and education initiatives including its Outreach Program, which assists women in Manhasset and surrounding communities who have been diagnosed with breast cancer and related diseases.
- Making Strikes Against Breast Cancer Walk - unite communities behind the American Cancer Society's efforts to save lives from breast cancer.
Proceeds For A Cause
- John's Crazy Socks Giving Back Program- John's Crazy Socks donates 10 percent from the sale of each of these socks to the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation.
- John's Crazy Socks is a local LI company
- Chloe Wine's Chloe Cares- Purchase a bottle of Chloe Wine- for every bottle sold from September to November, Chloe gives $2 to The National Breast Cancer Foundation
- Ford Warriors in Pink- Ford Warriors in Pink is dedicated to helping those touched by breast cancer, through actions that support, inspire and empower patients, survivors and co-survivors throughout their journey
Annual Events For Awareness
- Rocking the Road For A Cure- two-part event including a scenic police-escorted motorcycle run from Queens to Long Island and an after-party featuring live music, food, raffles, prizes, vendors, and competitions with trophies!
- Paint Port Pink - Paint Port Pink is a month-long outreach by the Fortunato Breast Health Center at Mather Hospital with the mission of raising awareness about breast cancer, sharing information and education and fostering solidarity in the community. See community sponsors that donate towards the cause.
- Pink Flags Celebration
- Long Island Hospitality Ball- premiere Long Island culinary, wine and spirits event featuring many of the top Long Island & Metropolitan restaurants and premier beverage companies benefiting the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund.
- Ladies Night Out presented by Manhasset Women's Coalition Against Breast Cancer
Keeping it Local- Long Island Fundraising & Awareness
- Adelphi New York Statewide Breast Cancer Hotline and Support Program
- LI2Day- organized to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer and other cancer research, to benefit cancer sufferers, survivors, and their families, and to support organizations that are participating in such efforts.
- Huntington Breast Cancer Action Coalition- not-for-profit grassroots organization dedicated to the ultimate eradication of breast cancer through education and awareness. Their mission is to focus on prevention methods while actively helping those who are faced with a positive diagnosis.
- Islip Breast Cancer Coalition - independent, grassroots, not for profit organization of volunteers whose goal is to serve as a community resource for the residents of the Township of Islip confronted with breast cancer and other women’s cancers.
- First Company Pink- First Company Pink is a not for profit organization of the frontline of prevention. While raising funds for life saving breast cancer research, they also promote and support education and public awareness projects. They also have a book, and music label.
- Rocking The Road For A Cure- nonprofit organization dedicated to providing professional in-home wellness services to Queens & Long Island residents undergoing breast cancer treatment.
- Manhasset Women's Coalition Against Breast Cancer- all-volunteer, charitable organization founded to unite the women of Manhasset, Long Island in the fight against breast cancer. MWCABC has evolved through the years, expanding in size and scope, but has maintained an unwavering focus and commitment to finding a cure for this disease.
- Mather Hospital - Paint Port Pink
- Got Checked To develop the building blocks of breast health and prevention from childhood through adulthood in the United States and beyond making it permanently part of young women's lives. "Leaving no soldier behind" we're also focused on the revision of the current mammogram age recommendations. Not an easy task, but necessary in our opinion because we feel the benefits most definitely outweigh the risks.